It's Friday and we have a Story Math Freebie for you! We are obsessed with story math and hope your little one loves practicing math this way!
Weekly Targeted Skill: Addition Problem Solving
A couple of tips for doing Story Math with your child:
- Read the story to your child and have them visualize what the story is about (it helps if you act it out)
- Give your child something tangible to count with (Cheerios, pennies, unifix cubes, etc.)
- Scaffold: if your child needs more support, walk them through the process step-by-step. Have them count out how many toys Tony made and then count out how many toys Sparkle made and then put them together to count.
- After your child solves the problem, encourage him to draw a picture or at least explain how he solved it.
- Do NOT teach your child how to solve this with a "traditional algorithm," i.e. don't teach him how to stack the numbers and add them. Story math is about children solving the problem on their own.
Encourage Problem Solving...
Are your kids ready for a learning adventure? Check out our Treasure Hunt Games:
Escape Room Game Kits:
Check out our escape room games and our locking escape room kit! Kids love the thrill of solving math, reading, and logic puzzles to get codes to unlock a final treasure. Make learning an exciting adventure!